Thursday, September 18, 2008

Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith...

“Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” Hebrews 13:7-8

I love this passage. I find it challenging. Haunting. Convicting. That’s because I know so very few leaders for whom the “outcome of their way of life” is worth considering, and whose faith is worthy of imitation.

As of this morning at 2:15 a.m., there’s even one fewer. A long-time friend of my parents’ and of my brother’s and mine entered eternity after a battle with a particularly nasty form of cancer. William D. (“Dewey”) Huddleston’s faith became sight this morning.

And our world…my world…my Mom’s world…and the Body of Christ in general are all the worse for it.

I’ve literally known Mr. Huddleston for as long as I can remember. He was an educator and administrator, and his wife taught with my Mom. His daughter Kathy is just older than my brother, and his daughter Vicky and I are the same age. We went to school together from 2nd grade through high school. Our families have camped together many times.

Mr. Huddleston was an outstanding role model. He has been a leader in multiple ways for most of my life. Excellent husband, loving father, doting grandfather (in the best sense of that phrase), great friend, good thinker (he got a very advanced graduate degree long after most would’ve given up on pursuing such a thing), servant of many, superb deacon, outstanding Christian.

But his impact on me in particular will always be incalculable. Let me try to capture just a bit of that impact.

When my Dad died suddenly, Mr. Huddleston took care of countless yucky matters for my Mom. A 41-year-old widow with 2 clueless high school sons needs men to be around and to be part of helping around the house and with the boys. Mr. Huddleston was one of the main ones I remember.

Relatedly, an insecure 15-year-old whose beloved Dad dies unexpectedly needs mentors and role models. I learned much about being a man, and a Christian, and a husband, and a father from watching and from talking with Mr. Huddleston. I’d love to say the lessons “took” immediately, but that’s not the case with me. But I’ve thought back to Mr. Huddleston’s example often as I’ve grown up/older & have tried to become a godly man. Even asked him some questions along the way, and cherish the wisdom I gained in return.

Despite the many screwups of mine through the years, I was never cast aside by Mr. Huddleston. I was ashamed to be around him at times, for darkness doesn’t like light too much; it’s way too convicting. But he was always a welcoming, calming presence, showing me time and again what genuine grace-filled love looks like. Truth was spoken, to be sure, but never in condemnation. Always undergirded with love. Since I’ve heard of his homegoing this morning, I’ve been remembering how at the gatherings of family friends back home, I always enjoyed getting to chat with Mr. H. We’d talk about family, and about church, and about parenting, and about education, and even about college football! (He was an FSU fan, which is one reason that to this day I can’t really cheer against FSU).

And when I had a success here & there, Mr. Huddleston was there too. Always encouraging and loving. Always interested and asking me about life and school and Lisa and the kids.

Many people talk a good game about being interested in and concerned for others. Mr. Huddleston lived it. And I will always be grateful.

I hate that his last days were pain-filled. But oh my…what an abundant entrance into the glorious presence of our Lord Mr. H. surely experienced this morning! And the pain? Not for him any more forever! For that, I rejoice. The applause of heaven as Max Lucado says? If you heard thunder this morning, that was likely it.

I also hate that I cannot be there this weekend to celebrate his life and to hug his much-beloved wife and daughters and grandkids. He would be embarrassed at all the fuss. Even at this attempt at a tribute. That’s how he was. But without a doubt, his is a life worth celebrating on earth as it surely is celebrated in heaven!

So as of this morning, even my beloved Ft. Walton Beach will feel that much less like home and that much more lonely and distant. There will be a huge gap there that cannot ever be replaced. Dewey Huddleston leaves quite a wake of influence behind. I am so very grateful to have been impacted by that wake for all these years.

I suppose the pain of these goodbyes is a good thing, for it makes us long for the coming permanent, ever-lasting hello. Lewis said (paraphrase alert) that if we find in ourselves a longing that cannot be satisfied in this world, that is because we were made for another world.

Longer ago than that, here’s what John said:
“Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away.... And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.’ And he who was seated on the throne said, ‘Behold, I am making all things new.’ Also he said, ‘Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.’ And he said to me, ‘It is done!’” (Rev. 21:1-7)

Thanks for everything, Mr. Huddleston. You made a difference, which is what we are all supposed to do. Thanks for the demonstration of what that looks like. I’m glad you no longer hurt, my friend and mentor. See you on the other side!

With much love and thanksgiving for a life well-lived to the glory of God,
Mike

p.s. – Would you join me in praying for Neva, Kathy & her husband Bruce, and Vicky? And for their 3 grandkids, Brent, Howard, and Marlowe?

p.p.s. – Would you also join me in asking God to raise up men of significance who matter forever in the lives of others? We seem to be growing ever short in that department…

5 comments:

her said...

Mike.... Mr H sounds like he was a true man of God! A very fitting tribute to a person who made sure that you valued! Thank you for sharing thoughts on the life of a great man! Mr H has already heard what we on this side are longing to hear one day "well done thy good and faithful servant."

As he was ushered into Heaven and was picking out his mansion...The Son was smiling and angels were welcoming him home....

I will pray for his family.
Joy, Debi Ogle

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the loss of your friend, but it sounds like he was a very positive influence on your life. It hurts to lose those we have loved & been so close to. I will pray for his family & for all those who loved him.

Janice Martin

Anonymous said...

Mike:
What a wonderful tribute to Mr. Huddleston! He truly was an inspiration and friend to all who knew him. Thanks for honoring his memory in such a thoughtful way!

Love,
Sandra Brown

Stephanie said...

Mike,
So sorry to hear of the passing of this dear man. Sorry for you and his family, but not for him. He is whole and well. I love this comment you wrote..."I suppose the pain of these goodbyes is a good thing, for it makes us long for the coming permanent, ever-lasting hello." Permanent, ever-lasting hello...oh, what a day that will be and I am so looking forward to it.

Steph

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike,

Mr. Huddleston was such a powerful man in so many lives! His service Saturday was uplifting and sad; but, at least he will not be in pain or suffer anymore! I told Kathy and Vicky about your loving tribute to their Dad. They were touched!

Love,
Janet