Sunday, September 28, 2008

For PawPaw

That was a sign worn by a lady at yesterday's HeartWalk on the USM campus. (Aside: yes indeed...I made it all 3 miles with no worries at all! Now back to the sign and the Heartwalk...)

There were these signs I discovered too late, on which one could complete this sentence: "I'm walking for _____" Got me thinking of why I was walking. Multiple reasons...

1. For the W.C.U. Society for the Advancement of Management ("SAM").
This is our student group in the School of Business on campus, and I'm a co-sponsor. So perhaps that was it.

2. For the individual students I told to participate.
Hypocrisy-avoidance, I s'pose.

3. For myself.
Actually a pretty huge reason! As I told several people, walking 3 miles in May, 08 would've been no biggie; In Sept. 08 after my Summer-from-Hades, big deal! So I wanted to prove that I could actually do it.

4. For Dad.
Who died of a heart attack at the age of 47, which is 2 years younger than I am now. (I was 15 when he entered eternity).

5. For Charlie & Mattie Madaris and John & Martha Benton.
My grandparents, each of whom had heart-related issues. Charlie died when I was one, so I don't really remember him. But I definitely remember Mattie, John, & Martha. They all impacted my life significantly in various ways.

6. For Drew.
My cousin, who has devoted his life to being an outstanding cardiologist and helping his patients live longer, fuller lives. I am one of his patients, as are my wife's parents. John & Martha Benton were his grandparents too.

7. For generations of children, both living and not yet here.
These are the ones who, by the grace of God, will not have to say "But I wasn't ready! God, Why??" when their loved one dies from a preventable, treatable heart issue.

8. For the countless Drs., nurses, researchers, and others working to eradicate heart disease.
May their tribe increase, and may the fruits of their labors be great and immediate!

The walk itself was glorious. A couple of my students and a couple of WCU staff walked with me, so the fellowship was great. I also saw a few friends and one former student. The weather was tremendous. Sunny & cool. Basically, it was a very fun way to be part of helping contribute to something huge.

Have you ever imagined a world with no heart illness? I have for years now. I started imagining it when John Benton died from heart illness. Papa was very much loved by us grandkids, and he very much loved us too. At age 9, I began to realize how insidious heart illness is. Then at age 15, the imaginations were re-kindled with great pain. Then a few years later when my grandmothers died when I was in college.

So, Lord willing, I'll be part of the HeartWalk for years to come. For Dad. And Mom the young widow. And Papa. And Granny. And Grandpa. And Grandma. And Jamie, Jerry, James, Anne, and Millie, grandkids who'll not meet their grandpa this side of glory. And all of the others.

And also for myself.

Mike

p.s. - See you @ the gym & on the road & on the bike trail in the next days/weeks/months/years! For the sake of my heart. And yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The strength that you and Jim displayed when your father was called home was was a great untold anchor for me when I lost my own father in 1994. Lisa Roby (Jim knows her) lost her father (KIA) in the skies of southeast asia.

You guys all showed me that death, althought sad, because we miss them, is truly our own destiny as well and a normal part of God's great plan of love and salvation.

On more than one occasion I would take the old GTO and visit the Madaris headstone at FWB Cemetery and get in touch with my own mortality and face the eventual loss of my own parents, using the example of the Madaris clan.

Our time is but a brief flash here; relative to the eternity of our real home.

And that old GTO? I'm sure it's all restored and sitting in the garage of my eventual heavenly mansion ready to pound those streets of gold even as we speak. It really wouldn't be heaven otherwise, would it?