Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Here's the schedule for this phase of our Houston adventure

UPDATE:
We're here in Houston; scan complete (took all of about 5 minutes). I warn you, I blogging under the influence...of a totally awesome angus burger. *grin* We got the, um, pleasure of 5:00 Houston rush hour traffic--remind me to never ever complain about traffic in Hattiesburg again! Light day tomorrow; appts w/ surgeon & with anesthesia person. (There's rumor of a potential Indiana Jones movie viewing in the afternoon...)

Friday's the biggie here medically speaking.
Thanks so much for your prayers!
With love & hope,
Mike - 2 Cor. 4:7-8, 16-18

p.s. - I like my little car, but man oh man...a brand new big truck with a big engine just beats the tar out of my little Toyota for road travel! (especially in Houston 5:00 rush hour traffic...other than my general cluelessness, I felt just like a native out here in that truck!)

p.p.s. - I'm also under the residual influence of some incredible read beans, rice & sausage purchased from this dive near Breaux Bridge, LA for lunch. Great day of eats today! (though horrendously unhealthy...oh well! *smile*)

p.p.p.s - my good buddy Jason Weathers & I have signed a mutual non-agression pact. We've spent waaaay too much time this Spring comparing medical procedures; now we've declared a truce. I think I've had more in quantity, but he's had far more intense procedures, and with today's spinal tap, I declared him the (decisive) victor. He & I have had nearly enough medical fun; we're ready to be back to talking about rock music & football...*smile again* (click the link to his site on the upper left of this screen, and please add him to your prayer lists!)
(update ends)

Wednesday: Lisa & I roll out around 6:30 this morning for Houston.
Wednesday: This afternoon, around 3:30my 37th chest CT scan this year (not really 37th, but I've had several)
Thursday: meet w/ surgeon and with anesthesiologist (I'm a pretty cheap anesthesiology patient; most recently, the Dr. said "OK, make him sleepy;" next thing I remembered was being in the recovery room with James; to quote Ron White, if there's counting involved, I'll make it to about the o in one and I'm out; apparently the mere act of opening the IV puts me out--the actual drugs only serve to keep me there)
Friday: VATS surgery, time TBA

Hopefully, back here Sunday, tho that also remains to be seen.

Per Dr.'s comments, I am planning to teach my classes next week. I find this rather amazing, frankly. Rest assured, I'll play the "I'm recovering from lung cancer surgery; I'm sore" cards for as long as possible. One can't go to that particular well too often nor too long though. Just heard about a guy who tried the "well, I have that medical thing" card 8 months after his medical thing cleared up; didn't go too well for him. *grin*

Thanks so very much for holding us up in prayer before the throne! Words fail to adequately express our appreciation. Know that you are loved much by the Madaris tribe.

With love and hope,
Mike - 2 Cor 4:7-8, 16-18

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. May the results of your surgery be even better than expected.

P.S.: I came about reading your 'blog' through the Caring Bridge side for Jason Weathers.

Without a doubt, you can write about your medical experiences in a way that is not only informative but inspiring as well. Speaking as someone who has just recently gone through something similar, I can certainly identify with you in what you have been going through. My outcome was better than expected. God is good.

Anonymous said...

So strange...I had a dream last night guess who showed up in my dream? You and Lisa! You both were encouraging ME with God's word even in my dreams! I wasn't sleeping all that well b/c I was thinking of what Jason's day held and there y'all were showing up in my dreams with great encouragement!!! Praying for you both as your travel. Press on! Do not fear for the Lord your God is with you - EVEN NOW!!!
Love,
Steph