Thursday, May 22, 2008

NEWS

We have more news. Freshen up your cup of coffee & pull up a chair; this might take a few minutes...

The bottom line:
Based on all of the tests, Dr. Kim thinks this is lung cancer. He has the wheels turning as if that's the case. More tests, and then surgery next Friday morning, back out here. (details follow)

The details:
--Tomorrow, I have a pulmonary function test (basically blowing in tubes, as I understand it). Then home to H'burg. (w00t!)
--Back out here to MDA next Wednesday, for a CT scan in the afternoon.
--Meet w/ surgeon & anthesiologist Thursday, then surgery Friday morning to remove the spots on my left lung.

The surgery is VATS, which stands for video assisted thorascopic surgery (or "very astronomically 'spensive," whichever...*grin*). This is a relatively non-invasive way to go into my left lung & remove the lesions there. Note: not "biopsy" them, but remove them. He's going to remove the ones in my left lung. Non-invasive => I may be released the next day, assuming all goes well. Planning to teach my classes the next week & all!

--After this surgery, the answer will be known with certainty, for the lesions themselves will be out & under the microscope. Thus, if they are in fact cancer, those have already been removed. In that case, the one in my right lung will be dealt with as cancer--prolly some combo of radiation + either chemo or the newer hormone/chemo pill as needed.
If, in fact, it turns out that these are something besides cancer, like a fungus, then that will also be known decisively, and the remaining one will be treated accordingly.

So, my friends, it remains a rather serious situation. Until further notice, assume that it's lung cancer and pray accordingly. BTW, we absolutely loved our Dr. and the resident we met with too. The Dr. was amazingly savvy in his abuse of me in my Crimson Tide shirt, mentioning Mike Shula and Nick Saban both as he abused me. *grins* More seriously, I greatly appreciated this throwaway comment he made in the course of a lengthy explanation: "I never make life pronouncements, for it is not in my power to give life."

On a very serious note, today was a wonderfully bizarre day spiritually. (Actually, not that bizarre, as I know the Source...) Here we were being told that I likely have lung cancer with words like "surgery" and "radiation" and "chemo" tossed around, and I honestly tell you neither Lisa nor I experienced the slightest bit of panic, nor did we shed a tear. I never felt anything but, well, joy. I assure you, this is not normal--I'm not near that spiritual! Rather, our Lord chose to pour out His Spirit and His grace into our lives today. I'm firmly convinced that part of what we experienced was Him answering your prayers; know that we are so very grateful and humbled to have been prayed for by so many. (Could you please keep them coming just a bit longer? We still are in the midst of this bend & don't know when it will straighten out...And I imagine I'll have my human moments that will not be nearly as spiritual as today was, sadly)

Know that we're fine, and are glad the wheels are turning & the process moving forward. We are very optimistic; the Dr. is too.

I leave you with the lyrics to one of my favorite praise songs, "Be Unto Your Name" by Lynn DeShazo and Gary Sadler.

We are a moment, You are forever
Lord of the ages, God before time
We are a vapor, You are eternal
Love everlasting, reigning on high


Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty
Worthy is the Lamb Who was slain
Highest praises, honor and glory
Be unto Your Name

We are the broken, You are the healer
Jesus, Redeemer, Mighty to save
You are the love song we'll sing forever
Bowing before you, blessing Your name

Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty
Worthy is the Lamb Who was slain
Highest praises, honor and glory
Be unto Your Name...Be Unto Your Name.

With much love and hope,
Mike

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike....as Uncle D says, we're praying "even now"....for restored health, for continued peace and strength to get through the "whatever life throws at you", for safe travel home, etc....rest well, my friend....YOU ARE LOVED!
See you Sunday! Love, Brenda

Angela said...

Up late. Glad I came by one more time to check for an update.

It is so strange that, even in reading your post about your "tenative diagnosis" (for lack of a better term) ,we can *hear* the joy and comfort being given to you.

We are lifting you, Lisa, and the kids up before the throne. Trusting in The Healer to care for your lungs even as I type. Thanking the Lord for delivering this peace to you and praying that he continues to do so.


By the way, we got our marrow donation kits in about 3 days. They are off and on their way for evaluation. Thank you for providing that info.

Anonymous said...

About to feed Ally and just wanted you to know that I am covering you and Lisa in prayer even now! I pray that you both sleep a little better than last night. Do me a favor... try not to think too much about the what ifs. I have found in our journey that when I try to figure it all out that I am trying to be god. Be still and know that HE is GOD! We love you and will NOT stop praying.
Love,
Steph

Eddie B. said...

Mike,
I am praying for you, Lisa, James, and Ann. The Rebels are playing baseball right now but they will just have to wait until I finish taking your names to the throne room.

From one wimp to another, I know exactly what you mean about the "peace that passes all understanding" as you wait on diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment news.


God is in control and He is good!

See you when you get home!

Love ya, bro!

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I know Lisa from being in a Bible study with her. What a sweet friend I made in her! I just wanted you to know that I will be praying for you and your family--and to tell you how inspired I am by your words, here...and on Jason's caringbridge page. May God get glory through these bends in the road.

Leslie Gonce

Anonymous said...

Mike:

Just wanted you to know that the Pattersons are praying for you and Lisa. I pray that God continues to hold you close to Him as you travel down this road. May He receive glory through your faith and His faithfulness, even as you go through this trial.

Rob Patterson

Jean Anne said...

Hi Mike - it is encouraging to read that in the midst of this time, you guys are at peace and still filled with joy - trusting our Healer! You have always been a steadfast source of encouragement to those of us who have been under your teaching and "wisdom" and it doesn't surprise me one bit that you're hanging in there so valiantly! :-) Chris and I will be lifting you up in prayer - hope you, Lisa, and the kids feel them! Our love to you all -

Kelly Thornton Lowery said...

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers! It is amazing how you continue to be an inspiration even as you face your own personal trials! May God continue to give you the strength that you need! Thank goodness God is in control and we are not!

-Kelly Thornton Lowery

Anonymous said...

Mike & Lisa,
Vicki and I are lifting you both up. I know where you are at this point, and Step is right. The "what-ifs" are fatal. Don't go there. GOD IS IN CONTROL and He will walk every inch of the way with you through ANYTHING. Our prayer will be for strength, peace, complete healing. Also that Our Lord will put a hedge of protection around both of you to keep the evil one completely at bay. We love you both and trust you into His loving care
Cathy Watkins & Vicki Lorimer

Erin said...

Praying for you all in our home as well.

Cathy Watkins said...

Mike and LIsa,
Continue to lift you both up to Our Lord. I know who nerve wracking the testing and waiting and retesting is. Thanks for the "The Road" and the Mark Lawry you tube. Thanks also for reminding me how wonderful the prayers of the saints and the laying on of hands truly are at a time like this one. Do you remember the old Simon & Garfunkel "He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother"? That fits you analogy of FELLOWSHIP. We do bear each others burdens. Praying for Great test results and a clear path to a cure. And for PEACE and REST.
Cathy Watkins

Lisa, Call me if I can do ANYTHING. I've been there,done that....but was NEVER alones..HE was always with me each step....along with wonderful friends and prayer warriors.