Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again...

Went back to work Monday. (Which my colleagues appreciate, as this means they can go back to just doing their own jobs & teaching their own students now. Last week, they did their jobs and mine too, and taught my students plus their own. With zero complaints, by the way. Thanks to all of the WCU School of Business faculty who have carried my load pretty much all year...Here's hoping I'm soon able to be a giver-back & not just a taker-from...)

It was Anne's turn to "drive Mr. Mike" yesterday. She got me to the office around 10:00 a.m., where I stayed until after class around 10:00 p.m. It was great to be back being a (more or less) contributing member of the School of Business faculty!! I'd love to say that the 12-hour day caught me up; but I don't want to tell a bald-faced lie like that. At least, not this early in the morning...*smile* Let's just say that I'm somewhat less far behind this morning than I was yesterday morning...

My online graduate class met last night, live & in living color. Which was very therapeutic for me, watching them in groups grapple with a couple of business ethical issues through 5 different ethical frameworks. Getting all philosophical & all...

Shoot, I even enjoyed lunch @ the school cafeteria in the midst of what felt like several thousand little guys there for baseball camp and another few hundred high schoolers there for music camp. (aside: give me 42 graduate students battling to understand the moral philosophy of deontology any day over a dozen little guys under the influence of baseball, sun, dirt, sugar, cokes, burgers/fries, & ice cream...)

Woke up this morning with a surprising amount of discomfort on my left side. My theory is that it's getting re-adjusted to sitting in my chair @ work all day. Or, it could be just a plain & simple "I'm gettin' old" day...In other words, I'm not sure this morning's pain has one thing in the world to do with melanoma, other than being in the same physical body with it.

Is it June 26th yet??? *smile*

Thanks for the prayers & notes & calls & such. Never underestimate the amazing power of an encouraging word to one who's under the gun as we are! And know that we greatly love & appreciate you! (I'd hug you, but I'm kind of sore...go ahead & declare yourself hugged...)

With much love and great hope,
Mike

p.s. - Important word directly from my oncologist, on my friend Jason's site:

WE NEED PLATELETS!!!!!!! WE HAD TO WAIT A WHILE TO GET JASON'S PLATELETS TODAY, AND I HAVE AT LEAST 4 OTHER LEUKEMICS WHO NEED PLATELETS. PLEASE ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES AND DONATE PLATELETS FOR JASON AS WELL AS THE OTHERS OF GOD'S CHILDREN WHO NEED THEM.
NAGEN BELLARE

So, if you're able, go change someone's life with your platelets today or tomorrow. Don't live in H'burg? My guess is, the same need exists wherever you are, so consider this a general "you oughta" that is not bound by geography. In Jason's case, the platelets are *crucial* to his recovery after his rounds of chemo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prayed for you this a.m. as I was awakened at 5 by a sweet little 3 year old boy who wanted to "watch tb" (as he calls it). I know the waiting game all too well and so I prayed for patience. Prayed for your sweet wife as well. Although I have NO idea what it is like to be a cancer patient, I DO know what it is like to be the wife of a cancer patient. WE should be the ones getting together for coffee! :) J not having the best of days, but as someone once told me, (wait... that was you!) we press on b/c God isn't wringing his hands or scratching his head over this recent set back. Praying...
Love,
Steph
P.S. LOVE the idea by the way!