Sunday, June 1, 2008

Mike - unplugged...

...ok, it's not nearly as cool as the "MTV - Unplugged" concert shows of a few years back, but I'm pretty dadburn stoked about it.

I'm writing to you from our friend's place in Friendswood, TX, 25-ish miles from MDA. The cool thing about this particular stay tonight is that I am out of MDA & unplugged from everything!! It was actually a nontrivial process to disconnect me from all the stuff I was connected to in the room. But they got it done.

Not counting shots, I came up with 12 different sticks in me since Wed. afternoon's arrival @ MDA. I'm not particularly worried about getting stuck w/ IVs & such, but 12?? Oh well, I'm glad to be here. They also shaved my left wrist somewhat (this happened during surgery Friday morning, apparently). Between that, and the new temp tattoo, and the teddie bear, and the really cool white anti-clot support hose, I'm quite the fashion plate now. Who knew that MDA also specialized in fashion makeovers in addition to cancer research? *grin*

We're planning to roll toward H'burg tomorrow 1st thing in the a.m., with Lisa taking the first shift of Driving Mr. Mike...and his bear. In the finest southern tradition, the bear's name is officially "Anderson Bear" ("Andy" for short). I considered and rejected the following: Bobby Bear (for you old-school country fans), Paul Bear (let's say that one didn't pass chain of command muster, despite our shared ties to a famous coach with that name from our days @ the Capstone...), and Cance-Bear. Andy it is. I doubt you'll see him much in church, as a 49-year-old guy carrying & cuddling a teddy bear looks just a tad odd...and not a little bit disturbing.

I have a followup w/ the surgeon in 4 weeks that I know about. I 'spect (& hope!) we'll have a chat coming w/ the medical guy sooner to discuss the lab results & what they mean for continued treatment. Basically, we have no idea what lies ahead medically speaking. Your continued prayers are most welcome!

Thanks so very much for your prayers in recent days. We're fine, all things considered. And I'm actually feeling amazingly good, to have had lung surgery about 60 hours ago. Lisa & I went shopping this afternoon briefly, & then just hung around here doing not much.

I have some restrictions, but very few. No driving at all for 2 weeks, then limited driving for the next few. No heavy lifting (naturally, I had just gotten my shoulder press & front raise & bench back up to semi-respectable-for-an-old-guy level...*sigh*) No feeding of pets or taking out of garbage or washing of dishes before 2017. (ok...kidding about that last sentence; love you Lisa!)

Again, we are awed by being the recipients of God's grace to us through you. Thanks for praying and for making yourselves available as channels of blessing.

With much love and great hope,
Mike

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that
you and Lisa are in our thoughts
and prayers.

Joey & Debbie
Baygents

Anonymous said...

IRON MIKE - Troy and I think of you and Lisa often! We pray Isaiah 41:10 over you. Please continue to post!
Troy and Emily Gardner