Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Pretty good day today

Actually felt much better than yesterday. Apparently my systems are switching back to the "on" position after being shut down Friday morning. Regrettably, it seems the pain one is also switching back on. But still, pain is not a huge issue with this, which is nice. Lisa actually took me up to church this morning so I could walk on the track. I made a half mile without pressing very hard; I'll take this for day 4 after having parts of my lung removed! *smile* It was good to run into some friends who've been oh-so-faithful prayer warriors through this journey as well. I basically laid around the house/slept after that. (I said I felt better...not good yet...)

The bad news of the day was that not only did pain receptors & transmitters turn back on, but also, today was "bandage removal day." You know that tape that's used to hold bandages in place? The special kind of tape that sticks really well? That tape that very painfully peels layers of skin off when it's removed? Yeah...that was today. Thus, now I'm short some skin cells, plus my left arm seems to stick to my side where the tape (& skin) used to be...

However, the good news of the day is that I took my first shower since Friday a.m. It was glorious! (note to concerned parties: I have bathed myself since Friday...this was just the first actual shower...)

Got a couple of appts. tomorrow, plus some very serious catching up work-related stuff to make happen. I'll keep my drivers busy tomorrow...(remember, "Driving Mr. Mike...and his teddy bear")

Also, please don't forget that tomorrow (Wednesday) is the momentous phone call to MDA to discover what pathology results from Friday are. Presumably, that will also set future treatment course as well.

Ran across this today from Philip Yancey, a writer I really like:
For the Christian pain represents, at various times and from various angles, a design feature worthy of praise and gratitude, an affliction to be overcome, a potential vale of soul-making, and a spur to hope in a painless future.

Thanks for holding us before the throne these days, amigos! Please do so for a bit longer. I'm fairly tired, but sleep tonight might be a good prayer point...

With much love & great hope,
Mike - 2 Cor. 4:7,8; 16-18

p.s. - 24 years ago yesterday, this lovely Bama coed put a ring on my finger as we made some promises in a small country church in S. AL. What an amazing, marvelous, wonderful, scary ride it's been since then! 5 places of residence in 3 cities in 3 states, plus Ph.D. studies, plus job changes, a call to ministry, international mission trips, two children,...I totally cannot imagine life without her; the joys would much reduced, and the sorrows (like cancer surgery!) greatly magnified. Here's hoping for some more of the "for better" and "in health" parts of her marriage vows in the near future. While never presuming on God's providential ordering of the universe, I'm of the belief that she's has had quite plenty of the "for worse" and "in sickness" parts for the time being. I love you, Lisa! Happy Anniversary! (maybe I'll be more awake & more pleasant for our 25th next year...)

No comments: