Thursday, June 26, 2008

Some Fun Things I learned @ MDA today...

--Watching someone eat a Chik-Fil-A sandwich across the table from you when you're not allowed to eat will "fling a craving on you" in the worst way. (to use the late, great Jerry Clower's wonderful phrase

--Apparently, the mere act of walking in MDA as a patient is good for an extra 10-15 points on the systolic & 5-10 points on the diastolic blood pressure reading. *sigh*

--"No, I'm not allergic to anything" spoken in Arabic sounds like dog-cussing. I can only imagine what "So, how's that baby? It's so good to see you!" would sound like...

--I must have looked pretty dadburn bad 3 weeks ago when I checked out of the hospital @ MDA after surgery. I say this because I ran into the surgical resident today who checked us out back then, and she said "You look like a new man!" (Of course, when she last saw me, I was less than 48 hours out from lung surgery, and she was pulling about 4 feet of chest tube out of a small hole in my side...ok, not really 4 feet; it just seemed like it to both Lisa the spectator and me the participant...)

--(this one's very exciting to me personally) In a pharmacological breakthrough, they do, in fact, have CT contrast solution that tastes...not utterly gruesome! *raucous applause from CT scan patients everywhere* I chose "berry flavored," while the older gent nearby chose banana flavored. (Note: the preceding is very different from saying "they've invented good-tasting contrast solution"...Still, though a pleasant surprise to have a taste other than what I imagine old battery acid tastes like...)

--(this one's much less exciting; in fact, it's quite unexciting) *ponders how to say this somewhat delicately* I now know of a 3rd way to deliver CT contrast solution, besides drinking it and having it pumped in through an IV. Let's just be reminded that my CT scans today were upper and lower abdomen. And let's say that I'd rather get stuck multiple times than experience this 3rd delivery vehicle again. (today, I got to experience all three delivery vehicles! Yay! {or not})

--One meets some fascinating people in a place like this. I met an older couple who both have cancer, and who have 2 daughters who have had cancer. Hubby's is somewhat manageable; wife's is considered incurable. His wheelchair had a bumper sticker that said "former P.O.W." Naturally, I had to know. He was a belly gunner in a plane that was shot down by an ME-262 in their first & only encounter with a jet. "What in the world was that??" over the radio was followed by "bail out!" which was followed by capture by the Germans.
When Mrs. got her "incurable" diagnosis this Spring, the daughters fell apart & asked "how long does she have?" To which, Mama said "don't even ask that question! The answer is not up to this Dr.; there's only One Who decides, and He decides for all of us. That's God, of course." She was smiling, laughing, sharing jokes with her hubby & me about the nasty contrast solution, and comparing treatments & surgeries.

And I was struck with awe and great humility just to be in their presence, because I was in the presence of my Lord there in the waiting room of "Diagnostic Imaging-C" as He showed Himself to me through a rather elderly couple. As Tony Evans says, when God shows up, any ol' bush (or waiting room) will do...

Pray for Him to pour out His Spirit in that same way through all of us who claim to be followers of Christ. Pray that for me especially.

Friday's the "here's what's next" appt. I 'spect I'll hear words like "radiation" and "chemo" and the like. Stay tuned. And please keep praying! Thanks so much.

Selah,
Mike

p.s. - James & I had the greatest Tex-Mex meal ever tonight. First, because the food @ Gringo's is awesome. Second, because the company was most excellent. Third, because I didn't get lunch today due to pre-scan predictions. I have to feed this thing regularly, or it'll turn on me...*grin*

No comments: