Tuesday, July 29, 2008

QUICK UPDATE

Hi, All,

It's 6:15 Tuesday evening as I come to you live from MDA's ICU. *faint applause, as at a golf tourney*

As I write, I'm an hour into dose #2 of this cycle of high-dose IL-2. So far, I just generally feel like (something not good). Pretty much flu-ish. Tired, a bit achy, no energy, but thus far, no major symptoms. (w00t!) The Dr. I saw this morning is Dr. Hwu...but this one's female & isn't related to the Dr. Hwu I saw last time. Of course, Jessie the *excellent* nurse practitioner is back, which is comforting. (Aside: I found out today that she loves to catch and eat Spanish mackeral...James & I caught some just last Friday. Comparing fishing lures & tactics with an incredibly-skilled & specialized female nurse practitioner in an ICU room just prior to dose 1 of high-dose IL-2 = utterly priceless! Very cool grace note for me...)

Dose 3 should come on board around 1:00 in the morning, assuming the side effects stay somewhat under control.

Thanks so much for the prayers!! We're living on them. Please keep 'em coming these next few days. And of course, the macro request is that this stuff would work and kick this melanoma in the teeth and make it go away...

In related news, I only watched a bit of my favorite part of Shark Week last night. I refer, of course, to "The Flying Sharks of South Africa." Way cool stuff, but I decided I didn't need any Great White Shark-related nightmares & went over to sportscenter instead...I'm hacked to discover that the Shark Week shows aren't being rerun all thru the day. Lisa is...not hacked at this discovery. *smile* Last time, I subjected her to about 4 straight hours of Deadliest Catch; she's a good woman...

OK, gotta run get ready for my spaghetti & meatballs that should arrive any minute.

Thanks again for the prayers. And thanks for the emails that made us laugh and cry. Very encouraging stuff! To email here, see 2 posts ago. *points down*

Love and hope,
Mike

p.s. - specifically, hoping for some symptom-free sleep tonight...and of course the big hope of healing...

p.p.s. - want to see how broad one man's influence is? Read Leslie Gonce's incredible comment to the previous post. Chill-bump material for me on my Dad's influence (thru a simple business card!) long after his passing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
It's almost 2 a.m. and I pray you are receiving 2nd dose and SLEEPING soundly. PLEASE, don't subject Lisa to Deadliest Catch. The hours I spent with J watching that show should be outlawed!
Love and many prayers,
Stephanie

Unknown said...

Who says there's nothing good on TV in the summer?? Shark week is great! Right after a whole month of Tour de France!! Yes, I subject Jana to many hours of bike racing & yet she still puts up with me, too.

We're praying that this round of treatment is successful.
Kelly

BrendaStrider said...

Hey Mike....We're glad to hear that you tolerated things reasonably well yesterday....and we pray that trend has continued through the night as well. I feel Lisa's pain with the Shark Week and Deadliest Catch....throw in Dirty Jobs and Survivor Man and you're describing the Strider house....yikes!!! Hang in there, my friend and kick some Melanoma Hiney this week!!!! We love y'all and will keep the prayers coming!!

her said...

Mike...sorry I missed the flyin shark...is that anything like a flyin donkey, or maybe a tlkin flyin donkey!

Praying for all of you right now!Keep your joy!

Debi O

her said...

sorry for the dyslexia typing...correction is
"talkin flyin donkey"

Joy Debi
John 15:11

Leslie said...

Praying still! Ditto on the sleeping soundly.

Chris made me watch the last bit of Jaws tonight and it wasn't pretty, either :-)

Maybe me and Stephanie need to go get waffle house some night late like this!!! hehe!