Sunday, July 20, 2008

To the King

As a musician & poet wanna-be, I've long believed that music & words have the power to capture things that regular words can't capture.

Around 1980, I discovered some music that absolutely connected with and fed my soul: the music of the group 2nd Chapter of Acts. Two sisters and a brother. Annie Herring is the oldest, and wrote most of the music. Nellie Ward was 2nd oldest. And then there was Matthew Ward. Matthew is about a year older than I (a young man, in other words...). Long, flowing blond hair. Slight build. And, oh my, what a voice!! Incredible tenor with an awesome range and a ton of soul. In my dreams, I’ve never had his range nor his soul. (And in my dreams, I’m pretty talented! *smile*). Second Chapter of Acts played with Keith Green--another hero of mine, Phil Keaggy (a guitar hero), Barry McGuire, Michael Omartian, and others. Like contemporary Christian music? Then thank the people listed here, for they pioneered it.

Lisa & I saw 2nd Chapter in concert around 1982 or so in Birmingham in a very crucial—and uncertain—time in my spiritual walk. I expected them to be incredible; “incredible” is not enough of a word to use. Awesome, in the sense of “awesome” before we applied it to pizza. To be struck with awe. Yeah, that’s pretty close. He fired up his song “Till The Walls Fall Down” from his solo album; “I’m gonna praise you ‘till the walls fall down…” over a most excellent rock groove. And of course, his stuff with his sisters was marvelous. Safe to say that the Lord showed up that night. At least in the life of an uncertain U. of Alabama student who was wondering whether to return to the God of his father and of his youth, and who wondered whether good rock could fit into a Christian worldview. (It can indeed, if you’re still wondering about that…)

A personal highlight for me is that after the show, they hung around & greeted those of us hardcore enough to stick around. I got to speak with Matthew, and even got a picture taken with him.

Some years later, 2nd Chapter of Acts released a couple of CDs called simply “Hymns” and “Hymns II.” Among our all-time favorite CDs. Like hymns & worship songs? Then check these collections out.

Fast forward some years. Matthew has a nice solo career, plus producing & singing some backup. (for example, on Leann Rimes’ “Blue”). He’s diagnosed with not one, but three different forms of cancer at the same time. A 2-year battle ensued, including surgery, chemo, the whole gamut. Matthew Ward captures his thoughts in a journal. Then, one day, he decides to explore the very core of his theology in poetic form while under the gun of chemo and the cloud of cancer. He shares his thoughts with his sister Annie. She asks if she can put it to music, and he reluctantly agrees.

And I am eternally grateful!

A few years back, PromiseKeepers released a praise CD with Matthew & Annie’s song on it. It’s also on Matthew Ward’s CD My Redeemer, which I don't own, but will soon. I tried to find the song in video format online, but alas. So, the next best thing is the lyrics. Just picture one of the most awesome slow worship piano grooves ever behind these inspired lyrics.

I give you To The King, by Matthew Ward & Annie Herring, long one of my favorite praise songs. Even more so since it flows out of the darkness of cancer. Enjoy. And make this your prayer. Pray it for me too, if you would.

To the King who gave everything for me
Whose body crucified, high on Calvary's Tree
Whose redemptive blood makes way for me I now give everything.

To the King who came in the form of a child
All powerful God; and yet, so mild
Whose obedience shows the way for me I humbly come to Thee

(Chorus) To the King alone I will give my life
To the King I will sing both day and night
To the Lamb of God who has paid the price
To the King alone I will give my life

To the King, the one true royalty, though King, He has befriended me
But greater still! He lives in me! I give Him everything

(repeat chorus)

To the King alone, I will give my life.

�1996 Megin's College Fund Music ASCAP �1996 Latter Rain Musci (Adm. By
Sparrow) ASCAP/ ARR/ICS

(Note: you have to love the music publishing company listed above! *smile* That's Matthew Ward's oldest daughter, who's now in her 20s)

I only recently found out that this incredible song that has so blessed my heart by one of my favorite singers was inspired by his own bout with cancer. Coincidence? I prefer to use the correct word: Providence.

Selah,
Mike

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
As we sang this morning "Be Unto Your Name" I prayed for you. I know how you love that song. Obviously, I thought of J, too b/c we are just a vapor. He is seeing this Savior we were praising face to face...overwhelming to grasp it all. You, press on, my dear friend. God is using you to draw others to HIM and for that let's say PRAISE JESUS!
Love,
Steph

Anonymous said...

Hello Mike!
Your Mom is a dear friend of ours & you are certainly of like mind.
We've been praying for you and will continue to lift you up for comfort, peace, a continued great humor, a blessing, and witness to all.
I've survived & thrived now almost 8 years following the big C, so you will too. Kick that stuff to the curb & let's get on with LIFE!!!
You are a terrific help to others!
Keep it up, dear one!
Blessings!!!
Belva Parrett & Elaine Laird
First Baptist Church, FWB, FL