Saturday, July 5, 2008

Time!

You know how time seems to move at varying speeds? At times...when on vacation for example, time seems to move very fast. At other times...when waiting for vacation time to get here, for example, time moves v-e-r-y s-l-o-w.

Well, this past week has seen both for me. The week since getting back from Houston has been s--l--o--w. And yet, in just 36 hours, I'll be in ICU @ MDA, with IL-2 attacking my cancer (and other things too...*sigh*)

My brother Jim, Lisa, & I roll out for Houston this afternoon after church.

Monday's fun starts @ 9:45 a.m. I think that's bloodwork, followed by a chat w/ Dr. Homsi, followed by checking in to the ICU ("Hotel IL-2")

The plan is 14 high doses of IL-2, one every 8 hours. That works out to about 5 days worth of ICU/IL-2 time. Then, a couple of days in the hospital to recover, and then home.

So, the hope is, that I'm back in H'burg in 8-9 days from today. The further hope is that those 8-9 days pass very quickly! Especially the 5 days beginning Monday afternoon...*sigh*

A friend asked how to pray this week. Pray as the Spirit leads, but here are some suggestions from my perspective:
--endurance (for all 3 of us!)
--for me to be able to take all 14 doses as scheduled (there's no guarantee due to the intensity of side effects...yeah...)
--lack of fear (again, for all 3 of us, but especially for me)
--safe travel for us three (Lisa & Jim will have some Houston traffic fun this week; I'll be, um, otherwise detained...)
--for Jim & Lisa to be able to rest & sleep (me too, but don't forget them)
--for James & Anne's respective weeks to go well...and "glitch-free"
--for wisdom for all Drs., nurses, & other health care professionals involved in my care this week
--**for the Great Physician to use the IL-2 treatments as part of the healing process for this melanoma!!**
It's my overriding prayer that 6 weeks from now, my next CT scans show that there's no melanoma to be found. Next week is the next step in that process.

Thank you so much for holding us up during this time. Your prayers are treasured and are absolutely crucial to the process. As you pray, please pray that God would glorify Himself through this entire situation, whatever remaining bends the road has in it.

With much love and great hope, because of my great Lord and because of your faithful prayers,
Mike

p.s. - a couple of huge blessings yesterday & today:
--visit from my friends Philip & Lori Thurman from Madison, MS. I served in Philip's college ministry @ Temple Baptist 6-7 years ago. Now Philip is pastor of Lifebridge Church near Gluckstadt, north of Jackson, a church that started in their living room! Philip & Lori drove over from Columbia where they were visiting Philip's folks. What a great surprise & blessing to see these whose life & ministry have had such an impact on my faith!

--visit w/ Stephanie Weathers & Clay & Kristen Meyer & Tim & Margaret Carley & Gary & Nancy Shows (Steph's parents) this morning. Stephanie & Kristen were in my youth Sunday School class some years ago. Tim & Mary Margaret were in a small group Bible study we led a few years back, and are great friends. And Gary & Nancy are friends & mentors; Gary is executive pastor of TBC. As I mentioned Friday, laughing with friends is very much undervalued by me...Thanks to all for helping me laugh this morning! The only thing missing was Jason, who's still recovering from pneumonia. Maybe next time, bro.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Prayers from our home...

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I hurt for you this morning when I saw you. I hurt b/c although I don't know what it is like to "have" cancer, I do know what it is like to watch someone that you love go through such a rough bend in the road. I prayed the Lord overwhelm you with HIS presence. I prayed the same for Lisa and Jim as well. I prayed that HE would use this STRONG drug to work HEALING in your life. I know without a shadow of doubt that you will give him all the glory that is due HIM. You are such a blessing to us and we thank God for you. I wish so badly that we could remove the cancer from both you and Jason, but b/c of your weakness right now, HE is being strong. He is good. He can be trusted. Press on, Mike. Rest and know that we will praying fervently for this week to SPEED by.
Much love,
Stephanie