Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fair? You want fair??

We spend much time in our society...and in our churches...griping about fairness. I totally agree: here's a partial list of things in my life that are not at all fair...

...for me to have had the great parents I have...

...and to have grown up on/near the world's prettiest beaches...

...and to have a good education in a good school system...

...and to have a great brother who is my best friend outside of Lisa...

...and to have such an amazing, patient wife...

...and the finest young man & young lady I know as my own children...

...and to have degrees from the U. of Alabama...

...and to get to teach for a living...

...at such a great place with great colleages and an outstanding boss...

...and to be part of Temple Baptist Church for these past 19 years...

...and to have such great friends...

...and to have been to Russia and Poland multiple times on mission trips...

...and to have some of the greatest aunts, uncles, & cousins in the world...

...and to know that I'll be fed multiple times today...

...and be in an air-conditioned house...

...located in a marvelous country...

...that will seamlessly transition to a new political leader next January without violence or gunfire or military intervention.

Yeah...none of those things are fair for me to have. And yet, there it is, just a short list representing so many other things for which I'm thankful. Fair?? Nah...I prefer "grace"!

“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements—surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it?" Job 38:5-6

Good question there. I sure wasn't around when the foundation of the earth was laid...All I know is that "now we see through a glass darkly..." Not everything is plain nor does it all "compute" to my finite mind. But "then, (I shall see) face to face...now I know in part...then I shall know even as I am also known..." (Paul, 1 Cor. 13)

I'll take that. Lord, I believe; help my unbelief...

Medical stuff
My brother, Jim, & I head out to Houston this afternoon. Monday is the day of fun-filled tests & scans & such. Then, Tuesday is the huge appointment with Dr. Homsi. This is the appointment when we find out if the immunotherapy is working. (or better, has worked...) The appt. is at 1:30. Assuming we get out in a fairly timely manner, we'll head back here that afternoon, arriving on into the evening.

Please pray for safe travels, for accurate test & scan results, and for great test & scan results. And pray for Jim & me to magnify our Lord through all of that. And of course, please remember to pray for Lisa, who's staying here to work and rest, and James, who starts his pharmacy classes Monday morning, and for Anne, who's underway with her senior year of high school.

Thanks so much for your prayers & love! God is good!

With love, appreciation, and hope,
Mike

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It's also not fair that I've known you less than three months but you have made an enormous impact on my life through your testimony. God places people in our lives when we most need them. Prayers constantly coming your way.

Angela said...

The phrases, "That's Nor Fair!" and "I deserve________." are treated as curse words in our home. It is FAR easier to train the kids in this than it is to discipline ourselves. With the kids, nothing makes me CRAZIER than hearing one of those phrases after we have gone around the moon to bless our children. I wonder sometimes if the Lord feels the same way about us. Thank You Lord for GRACE!

We are praying for you this week as you travel to MDA. We will be waiting with blessed assurance that the Lord is in control!!

Anonymous said...

You are in our daily thoughts and prayers Mike. We want the best results for you.

Mandy Dowdy said...

Our church is praying for the best results possible on Tuesdays. You may have great doctors at MDA, but what comfort we have in knowing that we know the Great Physician who knows all and loves us!

Leslie said...

praying hard for you all tonight (this morning)!