Tuesday, August 19, 2008

UPDATE/GOOD NEWS/PRAYER REQUEST...

...all in one.

So, here's the news from MDA, my home away from home, out here on the edge of the prairie (thank you, Garrison Keillor)

It's good news, though not directly in my 3 categories. And we're not finished here @ MDA.

--There is still one spot on my rt. lung
It shows up on the CT scans and also lights up on the P.E.T. scan (which means it is cancer). **We already knew this spot was there; this is not a new thing.** The good news is, this spot is unchanged in the last 2 months since my last CT & P.E.T. scan. The other good news is, there is no sign of any other cancer-looking spots anywhere in my body. (And trust me here...I had a fairly exhaustive set of scans yesterday...)

--Dr. Homsi has referred me back to Dr. Mehran the thoracic surgeon
Dr. H. wants to see if Dr. M. will operate on me again and remove the one spot. Dr. Homsi thinks I'm a good candidate, and the spot is in a good location. But that decision will be the surgeon's. (reminder: Dr. Mehran did the VATS surgery on my left lung early in the summer; we like him too!)

--Appt. w/ Dr. Mehran This Thursday, 8/21, at 7:30 a.m.
Yeah. We thought we were heading back to the 'Burg this afternoon. But I'm coming to you live from Friendswood, TX. Dr. M.'s nurse practitioner added us to his schedule Thursday morning, which is the next time he's in the clinic. He will make his decision on whether to operate at/after that appt.

--Life after surgery (assuming he operates)
The first, and coolest, part of life after surgery would be that I would get to use a phrase to describe myself that I have not been able to use decisively in 2008. (I'll not use it here in full-size print...*whispers* cancer-free...I'm saving it up for the blog post after surgery...)
The next part of life after surgery is that I'll be part of a research study here (study #2 by my reckoning). They'll take the tumor from my lung, and then will grow the lymphocytes ("t-cells") in the lab. Should melanoma ever come back with me, they'd then give those t-cells back to me along w/ IL-2.
Notice what is NOT part of life after surgery (at least not now): chemotherapy! w00t!

So, there it is, ladies & gents. On balance, we're all pretty excited. The odds of getting really bad news when melanoma comes back (as it has with me) are very high. Melanoma is a nasty, insidious disease in that regard. Thus, in my opinion, getting fairly decent news is a direct answer to our collective prayers.

What to Pray Now: For Dr. Mehran to agree to do the surgery!
(again, the appt. is Thursday, 8/21, at 7:30 a.m.)

Thanks so very much for your prayers for us. One reason I've asked for healing is so that I can join y'all in interceding for the needs of others. I've been so very humbled by your prayers, text messages, emails, blog comments, hugs, acts of service to us Madarians,...I'm anxious to join you in the gap of intercessory prayer.

I'll leave you with a few verses of this hymn I listened to first thing this morning. (Thank you, Selah!). I've highlighted a few lines that really grabbed my heart today. Tears flowed all over my donut...oh well!

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.

("Be Still, My Soul" by Katharina von Schlegel, 1752)

With much love, gratitude, and hope,
Mike

p.s. - didn't the dinosaurs disappear in the thoracic age? *smile*

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news !! This morning from 1:30 - 4:00 while I was was taking care of a sick child I was lifting you up in prayer. You also popped into my mind this afternoon and I looked at the clock. It was exactly 1:30, your appointment time. God's built in alarm went off reminding me to pray as he knew I was in a daze from lack of sleep..Hang tough big guy..I am ready to hear those two magic words also!! In his grip, Lance

Anonymous said...

Mike, I'm so thankful the report was good. Been praying for you so much today. Will specifically be lifting up Thur. appt. Please tell Lisa I said hello. I can't believe Ann is a senior. I can still remember her wearing her ballet leotard in the parking lot of Temple East...when you, Curt and some other guys were leaving for a promise keeper trip. Yes, that was a long time ago. Anyway, you have a precious family and I'm so thankful for the report.

her said...

Praise the Lord...and what better way to praise Him but by singing the glory song from Selah!

Steve and I are so excited. I woke up this moring at 6am eastern time and immediately went to my knees for you and Lisa! As Steve walks into the bedroom to get ready for work, I remind him of your visit today and he said..."I have already prayed for Mike..just like I do every morning at 5am."

If you get a chance, read a book titled Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. I am reading it now and it is so thought provoking. Rob is a pasotr at a church in Michigan. He produces some great videos : Nooma video, title: Dust website: www.nooma.com

Rejoicing with you, Lisa, James and Anne

Steve and Debi Ogle
(moving back to Buckeye Country this week)

Anonymous said...

Mike, thanks so much for your update. You have been in my thoughts and prayers, especially today. So glad that Jim is with you for this phase of your journey. Remember you and your family are loved by your "old" friends in Shalimar & FWB!
Love,
Sandra

Leslie said...

praising God and praying still!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow, and wow!!! Praising him with you! He is good... Good and bad, he's good to his children. He sustains us bc he is near!! Much love and hope, steph

oldfatslow said...

There's an old prayer in my church that says, "In thy good time, restore [Mike] to health, and enable him to lead the residue of his life in thy fear, and to thy glory; and grant that finally he may dwell with thee in life everlasting; through Jesus Christ our Lord"

May this be our Father's good time for you.

Scott Linn

Anonymous said...

"Mario Madarois" (long story - don't ask), it looks like you have surrounded the enemy and are moving in for the final annihilation of the most nasty bug!

I have re-deployed the North Alabama prayer troops for the final onslaught. Know that our Lord and Savior is hearing very LOUD beseechings from the Heart of Dixie (and it's not the "Hidy-tidy Christ Almighty" variety, more like "Onward Christian Soldiers")!

Yes, it's a real battle and we're treating it as such. There will BE NO DEFEAT! Victory, in whatever form it takes, is within our grasp.

Meanwhile, hang tough and enjoy the ride. We have hundreds of troops pushing at the front lines (not counting angels, powers, and principalities).

All together now..."Glory to God in the highest!"

Anonymous said...

Praising & praying will continue!