Thursday, August 21, 2008

IT'S ON!!

Here's some snippets from the conversation in Dr. Mehran's office this morning between the good Dr. & me:

Dr. Mehran: "So...Mr. Madaris...you've come back to see about getting the remaining spot removed from your right lung."

Me: "Yes sir. I had so much fun last time, I thought we'd do it again..."

Him: "Well, we can certainly do this. And I can use the camera again." (this means "VATS" like last time)

Him again: "OK...let me go look at my calendar and get you on it."

So, ladies & gents, it's on!

Thursday, 8/28 - meet w/ anesthesiologist; have blood drawn
Friday, 8/29 7:30 a.m. - surgery to remove my last dadburn melanoma tumor!!
(We'll have to be there by something like 5:00 a.m. for the pre-surgery prep.)

Last time I had VATS on a Friday, I was out of the hospital on Sunday, and home on Monday. It took another day or two to be fully functional though. *supply your own punchline as to whether I've ever been "fully functional"*

The surgery itself does not require a long recovery. Last time, the hardest part by far was recovering from general anesthesia.

So, Lord willing, in just 8 days, I'll be able to say out loud the wonderful, magic phrase that's only a whisper of hope so far.

Please continue to pray for us through the rest of this bend in the road. Thanks so much for continuing to hold us up before the throne. Lord willing, we may be near the part where the road straightens out for a while and is no longer bent & bumpy. Hopefully, you'll soon be able to re-allocate your "pray for Mike's health" time to other prayer needs; but please hang in there with us for a bit longer.

With much love, gratitude, and hope,
Mike

p.s. - I'm so excited about this upcoming surgery that I can hardly stand it! Oh, to be "normal" again...(whatever "normal" is...)

p.p.s. - In all of my spare time from my MDA fun, I do actually have classes to teach beginning this coming Monday. Can't wait! (even though I'll have to miss a few days due to VATS round 2)

p.p.p.s. - Jim & I had a great time this week. We (mostly) behaved well, though we did severely overeat once or twice. We're so ashamed...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That's wonderful news & praying that once this one is removed, they'll never return. You and your family are due a fairly straight rode to ride on for a very long time.

God's Peace to you & your family

Leslie said...

great news! praise God!

oldfatslow said...

Woo Hoo! Praise God

Angela said...

That is great news!!! Praise the Lord! We will be praying for you during surgery and through your recovery.

By the way, I have something for you (as silly as it may seem in light of melanoma removal) on my blog! I am so grateful for your writing through this trial--for the opportunity to pray specifically for your needs and for the ability to "observe" your faith through this. It is inspiring.

Anonymous said...

I will alert the North Alabama Prayer Troops about the success of their campaign! One last battle and then we stick a "fork in that melan". (Get it?)

Rest assured that we're not stopping our siege of the enemy until you receive the words of ultimate victory.

You let me know when's a good time to come see you. I could even meet you at Jim's place on the lake.

oldfatslow said...

[Sorry to put a private comment on a Mike's blog, but...]

Rick,

My comments on Mike's blog are tagged (appropriately) as oldfatslow, but I'm EM1143, Scott (Bill) Linn. Drop me a line at my blog name @hotmail.com.