Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Well, let's see what's been going on this week...

1. James left for Oxford yesterday
Pharmacy school orientation all day Thursday & Friday, with the white coat ceremony Thursday night. (All of those starting pharm school take their oath and are then presented with their embroidered white pharmacist coats). He got up there yesterday late afternoon/early evening and will spend today setting up furniture & his computer & such.

2. Anne starts her senior year of HS today
Which, of course, means next year we'll be shipping off both of our kidlings. I'm very excited for Anne. I'm rather less excited for me. Seems it was just a couple of days ago that my toddler daughter would announce that she's "Daddy's gull" and wanting so badly to know how to read. Now, here she is, in her last year in my house. (dadburn allergies...*smile*)

Both James & Anne are excited about their respective years. And I'm excited for them. Really, I am. It's just that I toss in a good measure of self-pity with my excitement. Watching one's babies grow up is a totally awesome experience! Those of you with little bitty ones are in for some times that are greater than you have imagined. But growing up also means growing out of the house. That's the part that brings self-pity for me.

Note: even with a whining, self-pitying moment like now, it's still one of the great joys of my life to see my children grow up. And yes, even to see the "growing out" part.

3. On the medical front...
Feeling better each day. Yesterday, though, I did sleep more than planned. I blame three things: a) I did more Sunday than any day since I've been back & was tired, b) we had a large quantity of rain most of the day, and c) James' puppy insisted that I nap with him. (We're taking Beau the puppy to Oxford Thursday). But I can see progress. Just tired now & then, plus "itchy" much of the time.

One week from today is the big appointment out at MDA. One week from yesterday is the day-long re-staging scans out there. I expect my nights sleep to deteroriate as those days draw near. "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief..."

4. Cheeseburger Classic
Even in the rain, I thoroughly enjoyed being part of the 1st "Cheeseburger Classic" golf tourney & dinner in celebration of the life and memory of my buddy Jason Weathers who passed a little over a month ago. (It was also a fund raiser for the education of his three young children, btw...for more info on being part of that funding, click the link to the upper left of this page) My golf game is not for public consumption even when there's not any rain; so I didn't play golf yesterday. *smile* But the dinner & silent auction was great, and hanging with so many friends was wonderful. In the midst of everything, I even got to hang out with Jason's wife Stephanie a bit, which is always a pleasant time.

So, there's the news so far this week. Forgive my "I'm getting old" ponderings here...the rapid passage of parental time is much on my mind lately.

Thanks so much for your prayers & acts of service toward us! Please keep 'em coming.

With love and hope,
Mike

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dropped off my baby for his last "first day" of elementary school today....how sad! That was after I dropped Molly off for her first day of high school...don't know what I will do when they are headed to college!!!

Glad you are feeling better....I will continue to pray for you!
Nancy Speed

oldfatslow said...

My #3 boy says he's interested in pharmacy too. Not sure where that idea ever came from. Have you kept in touch with Postma over the years? He was a pharmacy major, IIRC.

Scott Linn

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Great to see you at the Cheeseburger Classic. Continuing to pray for you on a daily basis. More importantly, Jason is!

BRAD