Saturday, August 9, 2008

"Let us not forsake the assembling together..."

I can't tell you how exciting it is to me to be preparing to head back to church for the first time in a month or more! Podcast technology is wonderful, but a TBC sermon on podcast while on the road in the wilds of S. LA does not even come close to the same sermon live in the presence of so many wonderful saints of God. Similarly, TV re-broadcast is nice, but TBC worship watched from my couch is just not the same as TBC worship live & in person.

And if you are a male, I apologize in advance. Here in just a short while, I'm expecting I'll embarrass every last one of you with the many tears I'll shed. Actually, come to think of it, I apologize not at all. But be forewarned of the potential...

I'm looking forward to the whole deal. Hugs from friends who have been carrying us along on the wings of their prayers as they have stormed heaven on our behalf...teaching Sunday School to my friends--man, how I have missed that!...songs of praise and thanksgiving...the view from the tech booth...hearing the Word proclaimed so excellently...and perhaps seeing lives transformed by that Word. I'm showing up with a cup already full from the many ways God has shown Himself to me since I was last there. And I'm planning on Him overflowing it. Can't wait!

I fully & confidently expect that this morning's worship & SS @ TBC will celebrate the presence of my Lord, Who opts to visit with us Sunday after Sunday. It will not--and should not--be about a man or a woman. (not even my favorite bald-headed, goatee-wearing pastor!) Nor about the incredible musical talent on stage. Nor about "singing my favorite songs." Nor about "making me happy" or "doing it the way I like." The day a worship service or SS class becomes about anything other than the Lord and His Word is the day the focus has been severely misplaced...and the day that church is preparing to experience the glory of the Lord departing from the place. *shudders*

I'm so thankful that long before I was born, God chose to place His hand on a group starting a church in Hattiesburg, MS. 5th Avenue B.C., which became Temple B.C. was an awesome fellowship long, long before I arrived. Long before any particular preacher or music person or SS teacher arrived. And, should the Lord tarry, and should He keep His hand on us, Temple B.C. will--by the grace of God--be a wonderful, biblical, relational, missional, global church long after I'm gone. TBC is so totally not about me--or any other single individual--that it's not even funny! Which is, of course, as it should be.

There are so very many churches like that. The hand of God is utterly not limited to one church. May it never be, Lord! Thankfully, He is moving in awesome ways in churches all across the planet. It's my hope that your church is one of those in which He shows up!

Like the Christian life itself, the Christian church is NOT about me. Or you. It's about the One Who created us, Who calls us, Who redeems us, Who forgives us, Who reveals Himself to us, and Who chooses to use us for His glory and for His purposes. May we all remember that, and help our churches remember that! Indeed, it is our utter and complete inadequacy in & of ourselves that makes the grace of God poured out in & through us so very amazing.

Celebrate that with me today, won't you?

Maranatha! Come, Lord Jesus!

With love, hope, appreciation, and anticipation,
Mike

3 comments:

Christy said...

I know you weren't disappointed this morning. What a wonderful moving of the Spirit! Saw you and Lisa from a distance, and how sweet it was to smiles on your faces. We continue to pray with so many others and look forward to hearing a good report from your docs. You've got a lot of sermons to hear from that bald, goatee wearing pastor now! Praise God.
Christy Moorehead

oldfatslow said...

The House of God is the only place to feel at home isn't it? Our hearts are restless til they rest in Thee. Welcome back, Mike. Glad you've got such a good church backing you.

Bill Linn

her said...

Amen...ditto...way to go Mike! I so agree w/you about TBC! God's hand is on the rooftops of this place and IT IS NOT ABOUT A MAN...It's about THE MAN-JESUS CHRIST.

You are surrounded by a mighty army at TBC and all of us in other states!

We love you and I am so glad that you and Lisa worshipped the One True God.

Prayers going up and blessings coming down in your behalf.
Joy!!!!